Monday, April 20, 2009

Danger and Duality

My daughter loves to "craft". We both share the same trait of obsessing over something for hours and hours...These bugs will be a great project for a rainy day. I think I'll stick them to some magnets to make the fridge happy.

Speaking of OCD - check this out....Saatchi and Saatchi are too cool for school. I once drilled over 7000 holes in a baseball bat and glued matches into the holes. It's still one of my most favorite projects. You can get lost making it, holding it and looking at it. I ended up having a big BBQ party and burning the match bat - It took about a minute to incinerate the fruits of my labor but it was so worth it.

The match bat was inspired by Brazilian artist Cildo Meireles, whom I had the pleasure of meeting in the summer of 1995 when I worked at Laumeier Sculpture Park. He created an installation with a giant tree trunk that came through the wall of the gallery. The base of the tree trunk had thousands of matches that he had drilled and glued individually. I was working in the gift shop but he let me help him drill holes for an afternoon. He was extremely nice, patient and insightful.

As I am writing this I am watching my one year old stick his finger in our ridiculously giant return air vent. Danger & Duality - that's my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment